We're sorry, but the web address that you have entered is either incorrect or the page no longer exists. That may be because the page has moved or the address you typed in is incorrect. Please search for the page using the Search box located in the top banner. If you've tried to access the page using a bookmark or have established a link to it from another website, you will have to re-save the bookmark or correct the URL link to the page you requested.

If you have any further questions please Contact Us.


Can I contribute to a Roth IRA?


Maybe. It depends on your particular circumstances. You must have earned income during the year (typically, wages or self-employment income). Beyond that, your eligibility for a Roth IRA will hinge on two primary considerations: your adjusted gross income for the year and your income tax filing status. In a given tax year, it's possible you may qualify to contribute the maximum amount allowed by law, a lesser amount, or nothing at all. The maximum contribution is $5,500 in 2017 (unchanged from 2016). In addition, if you're age 50 or older, you can make an extra "catch-up" contribution of $1,000 a year in 2016 and 2017.

If your filing status is:   Your ability to contribute to a Roth IRA is limited if your modified adjusted gross income is:   You cannot make a contribution to a Roth IRA if your modified adjusted gross income is:  
Single or head of household At least $118,000 but less than $133,000 $133,000 or more
Married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) At least $186,000 but less than $196,000 $196,000 or more
Married filing separately More than $0 but less than $10,000 $10,000 or more

Your allowable Roth IRA contribution for a given year may be reduced by contributions made to other IRAs during the same tax year. For example, even if you qualify to contribute the full $5,500 to a Roth IRA in 2017, you will be able to put in only $1,000 if you've already contributed $4,500 to your traditional IRA for that same year.